Apron from Pillowcase
Here is my first finished craft from my stash project for the year:


I like to think that I am creative and intuitive when I cook - I don't often measure, and "consult" a recipe rather than "follow" one. Richard says that I am messy. I don't deny that I seem to throw stuff around a lot more than I should, and spilling all over myself is a given. I don't know why I didn't do this before, since I've been ruining my clothes and regretting the lack of an apron for a while. So I sat down this afternoon with a crazy pillowcase I found at Value Village for all of sixty-nine cents and made myself an apron. I've made a few aprons before, for Doon, so I just kinda winged it.
Project: Flowery apron
Materials: pillowcase from Value Village, thread
Pattern: none, winged it
Time to complete: 1.5-2 hours (I always forget to look what time I start)
The design I was going for is a bit of a hybrid apron. I started with a pretty basic bar apron shape (rectangular with two ties) and then added a bib with a loop to go around the neck. It's hard to tell from the picture (darn these grey days) but the ties are just long enough to wrap around and tie in front with a square knot. Or, if not feeling square, I can tie a bow at the back. The aprons we used to make at Doon would have gathers and more length, but I like the clean front of a bar apron better. Though I might try a ruffle next time. Heh.
I used virtually all of this king-sized pillowcase for this project. It's quite sturdy cotton, too, and if I'd had a flimsier fabric I probably would have made it double think (reversible!) but that would take 2 pillowcases. You'd probably be able to make an apron without bib or one that doesn't wrap as far around with a standard pillowcase. (I need one that wraps further around because I have a tendency to lean on things.) I've got just enough fabric left over for a pocket or two, though I'm not sure I need them on this thing. We often made the aprons at Doon with pockets, but I only ever used them for carrying keys and things, never when cooking.
I'm quite happy with this apron. I'll have to make another one so I have something to use while this one's in the wash!
Before
(groovy, baby)
(groovy, baby)

After
(taken in the bathroom, thankyouverymuch)
(taken in the bathroom, thankyouverymuch)

I like to think that I am creative and intuitive when I cook - I don't often measure, and "consult" a recipe rather than "follow" one. Richard says that I am messy. I don't deny that I seem to throw stuff around a lot more than I should, and spilling all over myself is a given. I don't know why I didn't do this before, since I've been ruining my clothes and regretting the lack of an apron for a while. So I sat down this afternoon with a crazy pillowcase I found at Value Village for all of sixty-nine cents and made myself an apron. I've made a few aprons before, for Doon, so I just kinda winged it.
Project: Flowery apron
Materials: pillowcase from Value Village, thread
Pattern: none, winged it
Time to complete: 1.5-2 hours (I always forget to look what time I start)
The design I was going for is a bit of a hybrid apron. I started with a pretty basic bar apron shape (rectangular with two ties) and then added a bib with a loop to go around the neck. It's hard to tell from the picture (darn these grey days) but the ties are just long enough to wrap around and tie in front with a square knot. Or, if not feeling square, I can tie a bow at the back. The aprons we used to make at Doon would have gathers and more length, but I like the clean front of a bar apron better. Though I might try a ruffle next time. Heh.
I used virtually all of this king-sized pillowcase for this project. It's quite sturdy cotton, too, and if I'd had a flimsier fabric I probably would have made it double think (reversible!) but that would take 2 pillowcases. You'd probably be able to make an apron without bib or one that doesn't wrap as far around with a standard pillowcase. (I need one that wraps further around because I have a tendency to lean on things.) I've got just enough fabric left over for a pocket or two, though I'm not sure I need them on this thing. We often made the aprons at Doon with pockets, but I only ever used them for carrying keys and things, never when cooking.
I'm quite happy with this apron. I'll have to make another one so I have something to use while this one's in the wash!

1 Comments:
Hey, this is GROOVY! One hot apron.
It is WILD.
Post a Comment
<< Home