Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Naughty misappropriation of yarn

I have been feeling a little stretched thin lately, and I apologize to my regular readers (mostly my mom and Sharon, I suspect!) that I haven't been updating frequently. As an explanation (and maybe a little bit of an excuse) I offer up the fact that I'm currently working 2 jobs for a combined 50 hours a week, and then volunteering at the library for about 4 hours (6 with prep time). I know that there are others who work many more hours, and that really, I'm doing it to myself, but whatchagonnado?


Well, if you're me, you're going to come home every night and sit on your buns knitting with misappropriated yarn.



No, I didn't steal it. But I'm not really using it for it's intended purpose. This purple yarn is the lovely squishy stuff sent to me by Lynda, my whose lace is it anyways pal. If you recall, the pattern she sent me was the frabujous Lacy Lattice Stole from Fiddlesticks. And I was a good girl; I swatched the pattern in the yarn and didn't like it. The yarn is too smooth and almost too thick to be a garter stitch lace pattern.


So, remembering that I had this pattern stashed away in a binder somewhere, I swatched for it -- and behold! The yarn and pattern were meant to be.





I give you the Faroese Flower Shawl. Very pretty, very purple. And almost done. (That's what nothing but knitting will get you --- almost done.) The pattern gives instructions for including a beaded trim at the lower edge of the shawl, so I will have to find a bead store to haunt and learn how to include beads in my knitting. I have a feeling that this is a dangerous slippery slope, and that combining two obsessions into one will lead to new heights of artistic and creative depravity. Ha.

I also got a book on handmade journals out of the library. Will it never end?

To come:
Finished baby sweater-- still needs buttons
Finished peacock feathers -- still needs blocking
unfinished clapotis -- on hold for a bit, will probably pick back up when FFS is done.

2 Comments:

Blogger adrienne said...

the shawl looks really good so far!
and handbound books are my secret hobby. i collect supplies and read books and websites, but never ever make any. craftster is a good place for fun bookmaking pictures :)

5:49 p.m.  
Blogger Lynda Lambert said...

WOW, that yarn looks so beautiful! I loved it and thought you would make something nice with it.
I am an art professor, and this semeseter I am teaching bookmaking. My students will create the star book next week. This week, we are working on Coptic binding. I teach all kinds of bindings in this course, so wish you lived nearby and I would help you along with your new project. And, for making beads with your yarn works - well, let me tell ya it is QUITE addictive. You could consult my husband on that one. lol

4:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home