PEI Sunday.
After spending a lovely cool night next to the ocean, Richard and I took a trip into Charlottetown. We started at Founder's Hall, right by the waterfront. They have a short little "time tunnel" exhibit that you can go through that was kindof fun, helped along by the folks at History Bites. There was a (red) sandcastle out front, so I took a picture of it.

As we walked along the waterfront, we found a group of people in period costume camping out in white tents on a lawn. They were historical re-enactors from all over, American privateers coming to attack the British colony of PEI towards the end of the 18th Century. I chatted with this nice lady for quite a bit: she's actually from Windsor Ontario. I guess we missed the skirmish between the privateers and the British on Saturday - I wish we could have seen it. They were running through town and taking people hostage, apparently. I should have taken a picture of her husband, too- he had the most fabulous green and black striped stockings on.
We also saw the re-enactment of MacDonald's Confederation announcement at the Province House. Unfortunately, it was a little too windy to hear well, but I liked it. When you go inside, you can see the provincial legislature that they use today, as well as some chambers redecorated for 1864, when the conference at Charlottetown was held.
Then we went to the Stanhope part of the PEI National Park and got our campsite: no ocean view this time, just trees. However, here's a view of the ocean for you anyhow.
And for all you crafty types, one photo I had to lean wayyyy over the rope at Green Gables to get: some period filet crochet from the chesterfield in the parlour.

As we walked along the waterfront, we found a group of people in period costume camping out in white tents on a lawn. They were historical re-enactors from all over, American privateers coming to attack the British colony of PEI towards the end of the 18th Century. I chatted with this nice lady for quite a bit: she's actually from Windsor Ontario. I guess we missed the skirmish between the privateers and the British on Saturday - I wish we could have seen it. They were running through town and taking people hostage, apparently. I should have taken a picture of her husband, too- he had the most fabulous green and black striped stockings on.
We also saw the re-enactment of MacDonald's Confederation announcement at the Province House. Unfortunately, it was a little too windy to hear well, but I liked it. When you go inside, you can see the provincial legislature that they use today, as well as some chambers redecorated for 1864, when the conference at Charlottetown was held.
Then we went to the Stanhope part of the PEI National Park and got our campsite: no ocean view this time, just trees. However, here's a view of the ocean for you anyhow.
And for all you crafty types, one photo I had to lean wayyyy over the rope at Green Gables to get: some period filet crochet from the chesterfield in the parlour.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home