Monday, August 14, 2006

Heralding Fall

This week the weather here has been beautiful: clear skies, sunny but not humid, nice and cool at night. It puts me in mind of fall--especially since many store have their back-to-school and hallowe'en stuff out.
The August challenge for Whiplash is wardrobe refashion, and I'm entering my shirt in the embellishment category. I tend to buy plain-jane tshirts. I'm not sure why, but I just like solid colours with no prints to muck it up. However, we've been unpacking new clothing for fall at work this week, and I found myself attracted to the foil-print variety. So off to Michael's for some metallic fabric paints.
I have two of these grey tshirts (they were on sale!) so I didn't mind painting one of them.

Before: pinned out with a grocery bag inside to prevent seepage

I was inspired by Two Straight Lines' botanical prints. Off I run into the woods (well, into the parking lot) and I pick out some really veiny leaves, on the theory that they'll show up better. I used copper and white metallic fabric paints. Using a fairly stiff brush, I painted the underside of a leaf, and positioned it paint-down on the shirt. I placed a piece of scrap paper over it and used my hand to rub it, just to make sure the paint transferred, and then peeled the paper and paint off.

first layer- I used about 6 leaves (2 different species) in different sizes

The copper coloured paint looks just like I hoped it would. While I liked the ghost like imprint left by the white paint, it's almost too subtle.

After printing all the leaves I wanted, I went back with the brush and highlighted a few stems and veins very lightly. It's easiest to see in the top left leaf in the picture below.

After drying flat for 24 hours (following the instructions on the paint bottle of course) I tried the shirt on and had Richard take a picture. I really like the results- it's evocative of autumn, andnot too "I painted my own shirt".
yes, I am wearing pants I made out of an old bedsheet. yes, I am sucking in my gut. it's first thing in the morning - what do you want from me?

whipup

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, Valerie, this is very nice! You've inspired me to try something similar. Well done!

1:58 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow i love this! it's so simple, but absolutely lovely!

4:28 p.m.  
Blogger adrienne said...

your shirt turned out so well! I really like it.

7:09 p.m.  
Blogger Lynda Lambert said...

You sure know how to dress up a drab T-shirt, girl! Nice job.

8:54 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I like the shirt!

But I'm really coming her to say THANK YOU!!! for the gorgeous sock kit you created for me! I love the bag, and the little sweater charm on the pouch, and the (two!) sock yarns, and all the other little goodies. Plus, I've been watching everyone else on the internet (or so it seems) knit the jaywalker pattern, so now I have a reason to knit it too!

Somebody please convince me I have to finish the Christmas gift socks on the needles before I start my pair...?

10:51 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home