Sunday, February 18, 2007

Recycled Scarf

This month's whip up challenge is to create something using recycled items - household waste or whatever.
I made this scarf based on the tiny germ of a memory (as in wheat germ, not flu) of something I saw at a craft fair somewhere... maybe with my mom? (Mum? doesn't this look remotely familiar?)
I love scarves. I'm not a fan of turtlenecks, but I like to keep my neck warm because it keeps the rest of me warm.


I cut five scarf-sized pieces of cloth, recycled from a Value Village bedsheet (about 64" by 7") and pinned them together. Then I sewed them together in straight lines along the length, about 2 inches apart.

On each side, I cut through the top two layers between the sewn lines, and then removed the lenghtwise fibres to fringe the scarf a little.

The scarf is long and soft, and the lenghtwise fringe is fuzzy. I'm currently experimenting with a horizontal fringe, and conceivably this could be done on the bias for a diagonal fringe.

My entry for February's whiplash is for the creative use of household waste.
I'd love to be considered for that exciting fifth prize, but the fringing bit was so time consuming! I guess I can press Richard into service.
whipup

Of course, my crazy photography skills have definitely improved with this new camera. The bathroom never looked so much like a fashion magazine spread!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dorie said...

Great pretty-fluffy scarf!

7:13 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are thinking about the "chenille" scarf made in a similar way except the stitches are close together- the refore, the fringes are shorter & bulkier. But your rendition is cool, Valerie!
OXO

6:59 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home