An introduction
This week's whiplash assignment is to give ourselves a little bit of an introduction.
My name is Valerie, and I am a craft addict.
I started this blog for two reasons: I wanted to be one of the cool kids (bloggers being the cool kids, of course) and as a way for my husband and I to reach the folks "back home" in Ontario without having to write mass emails or letters. Well, Richard was maybe not so interested in the blogging, and me being the crafty type, this blog developed into more of a log, for myself and for others, recording my crafty efforts. Of course, there has been the occasional tangent into the rest of my life.
I have spurts of creativity and 'craftivity' which wax and wane according to my own whimsy, but one craft that always comes back to me is knitting. I find it a relaxing and rewarding activity- it challenges my hands and my head, and I like having a beautiful finished product.
I am a process crafter. I like to try new things because doing them, creating, crafting, and getting messy are enjoyable. In fact, with the exception of socks and things like Christmas cards, my finished products are rarely used. This doesn't really bother me. I'm just as happy making something for someone else as I am for myself. (However, sweaters for Richard can be boring. He's BIG and likes monochromatic plain things. Not so fun. Socks are better- done sooner, allowed brighter colours... where was I?)
Anyhow, we've finally had 2 beautiful days of sunshine after weeks of miserable weather, so I took some better pictures of Flirty Ruffles:

Anyone else see a problem withe above picture? Here's a hint: that's not me, that's Richard. He's seven inches taller and twice as wide as I am. This shawl is too big for him.
In retrospect, this is my own fault. When I (rarely) swatch for lace projects, it's just to see what the resulting fabric looks like. I never measure. After all, a big triangle is one size fits all, right? Oops.
Anyone out there know a seven-foot tall woman (or man) who wants a flirty ruffles shawl? Or an average-sized person who likes them oversized? Seriously, I'd exchange this for another three balls of zephyr so I can try again AND MEASURE THE DANG SWATCH THIS TIME.

My name is Valerie, and I am a craft addict.
I started this blog for two reasons: I wanted to be one of the cool kids (bloggers being the cool kids, of course) and as a way for my husband and I to reach the folks "back home" in Ontario without having to write mass emails or letters. Well, Richard was maybe not so interested in the blogging, and me being the crafty type, this blog developed into more of a log, for myself and for others, recording my crafty efforts. Of course, there has been the occasional tangent into the rest of my life.
I have spurts of creativity and 'craftivity' which wax and wane according to my own whimsy, but one craft that always comes back to me is knitting. I find it a relaxing and rewarding activity- it challenges my hands and my head, and I like having a beautiful finished product.
I am a process crafter. I like to try new things because doing them, creating, crafting, and getting messy are enjoyable. In fact, with the exception of socks and things like Christmas cards, my finished products are rarely used. This doesn't really bother me. I'm just as happy making something for someone else as I am for myself. (However, sweaters for Richard can be boring. He's BIG and likes monochromatic plain things. Not so fun. Socks are better- done sooner, allowed brighter colours... where was I?)
Anyhow, we've finally had 2 beautiful days of sunshine after weeks of miserable weather, so I took some better pictures of Flirty Ruffles:

I really love this pattern. The ruffles were a huge pain to knit, and were worth it. Gorgeous! And I love love love love love the Jaggerspun Zephyr that I used to knit it. I want ALL my clothing to be made from this yarn. As an aside, I got the yarn at TheKnitter.com. I had to wait what seemed a long time for the yarn, (3 wks?) BUT shipping was free... which is important to those on a budget. (Like me, in case you couldn't guess)
Anyone else see a problem withe above picture? Here's a hint: that's not me, that's Richard. He's seven inches taller and twice as wide as I am. This shawl is too big for him.
In retrospect, this is my own fault. When I (rarely) swatch for lace projects, it's just to see what the resulting fabric looks like. I never measure. After all, a big triangle is one size fits all, right? Oops.
Anyone out there know a seven-foot tall woman (or man) who wants a flirty ruffles shawl? Or an average-sized person who likes them oversized? Seriously, I'd exchange this for another three balls of zephyr so I can try again AND MEASURE THE DANG SWATCH THIS TIME.



5 Comments:
Such gorgeous lace - how about using as a wrap skirt somehow?
Valerie! What a stunningly beautiful shawl. Absolutely breathtaking - the ruffled edge must have taken a million years itself! I came over here from Adrienne's blog - the yarn you dyed for her is really wonderful with such fun names for the colorways. What pattern did you use for the bunny? It's the cutest one I've ever seen! At first I thought maybe it is Kate Gilbert's, but now I'm not sure. Please let me know. :)
P.S. Don't get rid of the shawl - you might decide you like how big it is. Perfect for snuggling up with at a play or ballet when the theater is too cold!
Oops, that was my bad. I forgot to link to Jess Hutch http://www.jesshutch.com where I got the freebie bunnie pattern.
You've got to be kidding...right?
Post a Comment
<< Home