Lunchbag
When I began experimenting with felting sweaters in the washer, Richard innocently 'mentioned' that he'd like a new lunchbag. Well, I guess I can accomodate him. Off we went to Value Village, where I found four or five wool sweaters that I could play with, including a dark green hoodie with drawstrings.
I used the same felting method for this one as the striped sweater: I put it in a pillowcase and ran it through the wash a couple of times.
I sewed up the side seams and the bottom of the bag (which is actually the top of the sweater). As you can see, I used the very professional method of marking my straight lines with scotch tape. Hey, it worked, and I didn't have to run out and buy a special fabric marker that would write on dark green felt!
The construction on the bottom of the bag is the same on this one as the last: you can see that I first seamed the bottom straight across, and then sewed little triangles on either side (again marked with scotch tape) to make a square bottom. For this bag, since I wanted it to be fairly square, I made bigger triangles, ran a second row of stitches just to be secure and then trimmed off the excess.

I folded the top of the bag over and sewed a casing for the drawstrings which I had felted along with the rest of the sweater. Because the felted fabric is fairly thick and won't fray, I was able to just poke holes for the drawstring ends without worrying about stitching around them (thank goodness).
I thought about putting a big stripey "R" on the front with the leftovers from the other bag, but I doubt Richard would have been impressed. Maybe I should do it anyways. heheheh.
I used the same felting method for this one as the striped sweater: I put it in a pillowcase and ran it through the wash a couple of times.
I sewed up the side seams and the bottom of the bag (which is actually the top of the sweater). As you can see, I used the very professional method of marking my straight lines with scotch tape. Hey, it worked, and I didn't have to run out and buy a special fabric marker that would write on dark green felt!The construction on the bottom of the bag is the same on this one as the last: you can see that I first seamed the bottom straight across, and then sewed little triangles on either side (again marked with scotch tape) to make a square bottom. For this bag, since I wanted it to be fairly square, I made bigger triangles, ran a second row of stitches just to be secure and then trimmed off the excess.

I folded the top of the bag over and sewed a casing for the drawstrings which I had felted along with the rest of the sweater. Because the felted fabric is fairly thick and won't fray, I was able to just poke holes for the drawstring ends without worrying about stitching around them (thank goodness).
I thought about putting a big stripey "R" on the front with the leftovers from the other bag, but I doubt Richard would have been impressed. Maybe I should do it anyways. heheheh.


1 Comments:
What a nice way to recycle...I bet the person who donated that sweater to VV never dreamed that it will be reborn a lunch bag!
Post a Comment
<< Home